We started as a boy and a girl pursuing our love and our God....here is the story of our journey to become the family we were intended to be.

Thursday, April 2, 2009

About Our Hearts

Nate & I decided that this post would be a good idea to fill everyone in on how we got to the point we are at with the adoption. We have a lot of new friends in the adoption world and a lot of friends and family who have been hearing it thru the "grapevine" so we thought that this would be a good place to give you a rundown! Let's see....we have always talked about adoption but if was just that...talk....and nothing more. However, in the last year we have both (but especially me) felt a stirring that our heart for adoption was more of a glimpse at our future than just something we would support in the lives of others. I began seeking and praying every day and every day I felt something different (some days I wanted to adopt, some days I wanted to try to have another baby, some days I thought we were done with 2, etc.) and then something changed....about 3 months ago I felt peace and confidence and assurance that adopting a baby was the way to go. I talked to Nathan and he knew that my heart had changed....I asked him to seriously pursue the idea with God and let me know. At that point I tried to just be really patient knowing that if God had convinced me, He would convice Nate, too....that part was hard and I did better about not asking where he was some days than others....but I really did TRY to be patient! Anyway, a few weeks after he started praying and seeking, Nathan told me that he was ready to go for it!! He said he trusted God, was confident that we were supposed to pursue, and wanted to see all of the research I had done.....at which point I freaked out and decided that I didn't want to do it anymore....I was too scared!! Figures, huh? Anyway, we got all that straightened out and jumped in with both feet.
Sooooo......how we arrived at Ethiopia. I have always had a heart for international adoption and the plight of orphans around the world. Nathan's heart was in a different place originally but when God told him we were supposed to adopt He also put international adoption on his heart. Those of you who have researched int'l adoption know that some countries automatically ween themselves out....from the ones left we were absolutely drawn to Ethiopia. Nathan had always had a heart for Africa, we have family who spent part of their lives serving there(this is your shout-out Kit, Jan, Missy & Molly!!), and it matched with my heart for the orphan crisis. Since we have started the adoption we have learned so much more about Ethiopia and our hearts for the country have only grown. Nate & I are reading a book called "There Is No Me Without You" by Melissa Faye Greene and I would HIGHLY recommend it to anyone who wants to know what has gone on/is going on in Ethiopia and why we are drawn to the people.
Wow! That was longer than I thought but a lot has happened and we wanted you to know how we have gotten to where we are! As far as the process from the point, we have homestudy meetings set-up for April 7th and April 17th and then we are officially done with our homestudy! Our part of the dossier (if you are adopting or will be adopting or are just interested and want to know more about that word, let me know!) is being sent to the Secretary of State for certification tomorrow and then on to the adoption agency. That means that Lord willing we will be on the waiting list sometime in the 1st half of May (our homestudy has to be written up and certified and our background checks, etc. have to make it back to the agency to be added to our dossier before it is officially sent to Ethiopia). We will keep you posted!
Love and thanks to all of you for your support and prayers!

1 comment:

  1. How great to hear the process in such a fluid way all at once. God is doing amazing things in your lives and we are so excited to walk with you guys on this journey! How wonderful it will be on the day we get to meet her face to face. We cant wait and we will be praying for your new little one who may not have even entered the world yet or may already be waiting for you! It is evident either way that God had woven her into your lives from the beginning. We love you and support you all the way.
    Tessa and Luke

    ReplyDelete